Newhouse MVJ 2017

Scholar of Sustainability

Jim Juczak founded Woodhenge, a self-sustaining community in Upstate New York. He applied his knowledge and experiences to teach and mentor others in the art of environmental sustainability.

He has been referred to as a granola hugging tree eater, the King of Scrounge, and a cheapskate. He also isn’t afraid to rummage through a dumpster. However, these descriptions don’t do justice for the man Jim Juczak really is.

In 1997, this retired shop teacher, husband and father invested his knowledge of architecture, electricity, energy conservation, agriculture, bartering and trading and many other life skills into founding Woodhenge, a 52-acre self-sustaining, environmentally friendly community in Adams Center, New York.

Juczak built his family’s 3,000 square foot off-grid, cordwood home on his property over the course of four summers. While many handymen can build their own homes, few can do it mortgage free while using primarily recycled materials.

“I’ve never liked the idea of borrowing money to buy wants,” Juczak said. “Commercialization urges us to buy instead of grow or make things on our own.”

When Juczak retired from South Jefferson Central School he continued teaching. He began holding workshops at Woodhenge using his skills and experiences to teach others how to live an environmentally sustainable lifestyle.

“Just because I stopped teaching eight years ago doesn’t mean I don’t want to teach,” Juczak said. “I just choose the audience I want to teach to and what I want to teach.”

Juczak believes there has been a change in our society that downplays the need to learn practical skills. Juczak said teaching people the necessary skills for them to live sustainably help them live within their means, while also benefiting the environment.

Juczak’s workshops teach self-reliance skills in alternative housing construction, green building practices, food growing and storage, alternative energy, recycling and everything in between. Juczak also provides education and assistance to the Woodhenge residents who he has opened his property to.

Juczak does not do this to make a profit. Instead of rent, Juczak requires residents to provide 10 hours of their time each week doing something that will benefit the community. Instead of workshop fees, he asks his students to pass on the skills they learn to others.

“I’ve never been shy about sharing my knowledge. I can either be an enclave trying to fend off other people, or I can be a community resource,” he said. “I would rather be looked upon in a time of crises as a community resource.”

Juczak’s true passion for teaching and leadership is clearly evident during his workshops, and his ability as a true scholar shows when he makes the most difficult topics understandable for people of every experience level.

“Jim doesn’t just describe to us how to do things, he shows us by doing it himself,” said Brandon Keller, a Woodhenge resident. “He has taught me so much of what I know about how to live sustainably.

For people to continue adopting practices that protect the environment and human health, educators like Jim Juczak are vital to society.

Photo gallery